Peering into 2013
With every New Year come the dreams and predictions of what the next 365 days will bring. The DCG team has pulled together a few of our own predictions (and wishes) for 2013 …
- The web content management (WCM) nomenclature fog will (finally) begin to lift, as bigger vendors further embrace some variation of CEM (customer experience/engagement management) for their expanding suites, and WCM becomes identified with web channel-centric projects.
- Companies will take a more holistic approach to technology selection, looking both at technology platforms AND service providers together to ensure a more successful solution implementation.
- More acquisitions in the WCM marketplace, plus disruption from new content marketing technology entrants will further blur the lines between marketing automation and web content management. A few more WCM pure plays bite the dust.
- Marketing automation platforms will extend their functionality so that the technology can be leveraged beyond the early stages of the customer relationship lifecycle.
- Talent shortages in the tech and marketing space will become a real issue for start-ups.
- Lead scoring will continue to mature as an analytics discipline as marketers try to unravel the mystery (and qualify) site visitors from their very first interaction.
- Inbound marketing will consume more marketers’ attention to ensure the marketing automation funnel is fed with a steady stream of new prospects.
- Real-time analytics and Big Data get more and more airtime – and increasingly really mean less and less. Look for the same “Cloud washing” marketing spin to happen to “Big Data” as happened to “Cloud” and “SaaS”.
- The next frontier of content marketing and audience engagement goes global as brands start to try and figure out how to localize thought leadership and engagement.
- Watch for new “owned media partnerships” as brands start to leverage co-opetition and partnerships to reach each other’s audiences.
Have predictions of your own? Share them with us via the comments.